AWEPA works in cooperation with African Parliaments to strengthen parliamentary democracy in Africa, keep Africa high on the political agenda in Europe and facilitate African-European parliamentary dialogue.
AWEPA’s overall objective is to support the realisation of human rights and development in Africa by strengthening democratic institutions.
With the help of parliamentarians and elected officials worldwide, AWEPA actively supports human resource development and institutional capacity building within parliaments made up of decentralised authorities.
AWEPA concentrates on:
- The key role of parliaments in facilitating democracy, human rights, peaceful conflict management, poverty reduction and sustainable development;
- The attainment of gender equality at all levels of political decision-making;
- The common interests of African and European parliamentarians;
- Building parliamentary networks and promoting experience sharing at national, regional and inter-regional levels.
AWEPA aims to achieve this objective by promoting:
- Parliamentary competency and authority;
- Good governance based on the separation of powers;
- Increased participation of women in decision-making (increased participation);
- Participation of civil society in the political process;
- Independent and qualified media.