Bujumbura, Burundi – The fourth Plenary Session of the Parliamentary Forum of the International Conference on the Great Lakes Region (PF-ICGLR) was organized in Bujumbura, in November 2013, with the support of the General Secretariat of the Forum, the Parliament of Burundi and AWEPA. The forum was established in 2008 and works on addressing issues in the context of conflict management in the Great Lakes area through a framework of dialogue between parliamentary institutions, while supporting the efforts of their governments for achieving the goals of the Pact on Security, Stability and Development of the Great Lakes Region.
The fourth Plenary session featured several debates around resolution projects which were prepared by the Forum’s consultant under the supervision of the General Secretariat. At the heart of the debates, was the security situation in Burundi, the CAR and eastern DRC, as well as the state of play between Sudan and South Sudan. The Plenary Assembly considered and adopted the following resolutions and decisions:
- Resolution on the security, political and humanitarian situation in the Central African Republic;
- Resolution on the security situation in eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo;
- Resolution on the security situation between the Republic of the Sudan and Republic of South Sudan;
- Resolution on the security situation in Sudan;
- Decision on the adoption of the activities report of the Forum of Parliaments of the ICGLR for the year 2013;
- Decision pertaining to the annual contributions from member countries of the Forum of Parliaments of the ICGLR;
- Decision on the adoption of the 2014 – 2015 budget of the Forum of Parliaments of the ICGLR;
- Decision on the adoption of the 2014-2015 Action Plan of the Forum of Parliaments of the ICGLR;
- Decision to accept the accession of the Parliament of the Republic of South Sudan as a full member of the Forum of Parliaments of the ICGLR.
The Plenary Session was successful in meeting its targets, given the massive participation of Forum member parliaments as well as the debate on topics of extreme importance for peace and security in the region. The session was attended by His exellency Pierre Nkurunziza, President of the Republic of Burundi, who also provided the opening speech and chaired the opening ceremony.
The Fifth Ordinary Session of the Plenary will be held in the Republic of Kenya in 2014.
Please click here to view the source of the article and to read more on the Declaration of Plenary assembly of the PF-ICGLR.